Sr. Research Chemist
United States, Conley (Georgia)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Senior Research Chemist is responsible for developing new products and processes for Lonza Wood Protection, refining or modifying existing products and providing technical support for external customers and internal departments such as operations, engineering, sales and technical service.
- Serve as Technical Lead on R&D projects, working effectively with various stakeholders such as Operations, Sales, Marketing and Regulatory to define project scope and milestones. Oversee technical aspects of the project from Concept to Commercialization. Track and report on project milestones and provide regular updates to project teams. Interface with other departments such as Technical Service, Product Performance, Microbiology and Analytical, to ensure scientific results are obtained within acceptable timeframe and project timelines are met
- Independently formulate new chemical formulations and/or new process technologies for protecting wood against biological and non-biological deterioration. Conduct bench to pilot scale formulation and process studies in preparation of commercialization. Evaluates efficacy and performance of new and existing products through standardized biological, chemical and physical property testing procedures
- Assist in field trials and commercial startups. Provide technical support and troubleshooting for manufacturing and customers as needed
- Prepare reports and/or test protocols of experimental programs and inventions, ensuring that invention records are properly prepared and submitted to patent attorneys for patent submittal and invention documentation. Presents/publishes scientific papers as appropriate
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S. with 8+ years of experience or M.S. with 4+ yrs. experience or Ph.D. with 2+ years’ experience
- Preferred area of study: Chemistry, Wood Science, Biology, Microbiology or related field.
- Experience with product development from bench to commercialization. Must have demonstrated experience leading and managing complex projects within the Stage/Gate process
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, spreadsheets, databases and basic statistical analysis. Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to make effective oral presentations to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of polymer chemistry and material processing and characterization; adept at working collaboratively on multifunctional teams and across business units in support of new product development.
- Self-starter, positive team player, attention to detail, able to work collaboratively under the direction of a senior chemist, good technical background, scientific/analytical thinker.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.