United Kingdom, Cambridge
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Bioinformatician to join our Bio R&D Bioinformatics team based at either our Cambridge or Slough, UK facility.
The Lonza Bio R&D Bioinformatics team tackles complex data analysis problems across the whole spectrum of Bio R&D projects. Our mission is to apply bioinformatics and data science to the discovery, design and development of new biologics technologies. This includes cutting edge research into biomanufacturing, synthetic biology and cell and gene therapy development.
As the Senior Bioinformatician you will work as part of multi-disciplinary teams to solve research problems using their bioinformatic and data science expertise. You’ll be expected to work proactively to define data analysis problems with our research teams from across the biomanufacturing, synthetic biology and cell and gene therapy areas and then implement solutions that meet their needs. The data we deal with spans genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, gene editing, spectroscopy and more so you will need to be agile and always ready to learn new areas to apply your skills to. Your responsibilities will include developing new data processing pipelines, analysing, visualizing and interpreting complex biological data, and deploying data tools including machine learning models. You’ll have opportunities in this role to grow your professional network and career through internal and external presentations and publications.
- Designs, analyses and interprets complex biological experiments performed in Lonza R&D.
- Identifies and internalizes new sources of useful biological knowledge from the external environment.
- Develops and implements new bioinformatics tools and software.
- Leads and mentors team of junior data bioinformaticians.
- Maintains an external professional network and develops scientific collaborations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD or equivalent in computational biology, bioinformatics or a related quantitative discipline.
- Experience processing, analysing and interpreting NGS data.
- Programming and statistical data analysis and visualization experience in R or Python.
- Experience using common bioinformatics databases and Unix command line tools.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams and strong scientific writing and presentation skills.
- Experience using cloud-based computing (AWS, Azure or GCP).
- Experience using machine learning approaches to answer biological questions , including use of common ML frameworks (PyTorch, Keras, TensorFlow etc.)
- Experience of one or more omics technologies including: RNASeq, scRNASeq, WGS, CRISPR, proteomics and metabolomics.
- Knowledge of biologics drug discovery and manufacturing.
- Significant scientific publication record.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.