Scientist, Research and Development, Downstream
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Research and Development (R&D) Bioprocessing Scientist, Downstream will work in a high performing team with the goal of driving innovation in the development of novel scalable viral vector production platforms for use in in vivo and ex vivo gene therapy applications. The successful candidate will develop and implement new and existing viral vector production technologies, specifically downstream bioprocessing, using resources internal and external to Lonza in order to create scalable robust solutions to viral production bottlenecks. This hands-on bioprocess scientist will design and execute experiments, develop metrics for evaluating results and technologies and procure equipment. The incumbent will be responsible for acquiring, analyzing, and communicating experimental data in cross-functional fashion.
- Independently evaluate and design next-generation viral production platforms, with focus on various purification platforms for gene therapy and contribute to pipeline development of novel, high value vectors and bioprocessing methods. Analyze data to satisfy project targets with clear understanding and management of uncertainties.
- Convert project targets into detailed and specific study plans with associated timelines to achieve the targets in a timely manner and in high quality.
- Understand areas of focus within department and continually build knowledge/expertise in assigned function. Supports evaluation of business development opportunities in the area of novel viral gene therapy platforms.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records, including appropriate lab notebook recordings. Present regular updates to supervisor, R&D management, communicates effectively with process development teams and/or present at technical meetings. Writes and revises technical documents including lab SOPs, test protocols and reports Participates in lab maintenance and procurement activities
- Develop an understanding of contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) operations and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) requirements. Writes and revises technical documents including lab Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), test protocols and reports.
- Distinguish between practical and implementable solutions to business needs vs. approaches that cannot be captured with the resources/time assigned to project.
- Proactive in building relationships within group, forthcoming with support, demonstrates strong ownership of deliverables. Participates in lab maintenance and procurement activities.
- Optimize or troubleshoot generally relevant engineering or process problems across modalities. Ability to generalize issues or technologies beyond immediate situation.
- PhD in Life Sciences with focus on biology or Bioengineering with intermediate years of related experience; MS degree in Life Sciences field with advanced years; BS degree with extensive years of related manufacturing or process development experience in biotech industry.
- Bioprocessing: Thorough knowledge of downstream processing technologies (including centrifugation, filtration, TFF (Tangential Flow Filtration), chromatography).
- Hands-on expertise with design and execution of chromatographic purifications of compounds, preferably with the goal of developing scalable, cGMP-compatible procedures.
- Hands-on experience with chromatographic systems for bioprocessing, such as AKTA Avant/Pure and/or related systems is required.
- Hands-on experience performing chromatography using the Tecan EVO Freedom robotic workstation is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with and in-depth understanding of standard filtration processes, such as depth filtration, crossflow filtration and dead-end filtration strongly preferred.
- Data analysis and modelling: Multivariate analysis, (Design of Experiment) DOE, JMP is preferred.
- Strong understanding of GMP requirements and technology implementation guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, critique own and others work in an objective and professional manner, pay attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly flexible and proactive in supporting cross-functional projects – strong team player.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.