Engineering Project Manager
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for providing technical leadership and direct support in the execution and delivery of large Capital projects within Lonza, including adherence to schedule and budgets, engineering design of new facilities (Basis of Design, Conceptual, and Detailed Design), and leadership of cross functional teams consisting of Internal Lonza customers such as Manufacturing, MSAT, and Quality Assurance to properly identify design needs.
- Leads construction, commissioning, startup activities, including supervision and management of external engineering contractors and equipment vendors
- Provides leadership and technical support during the construction and start-up phase (turnover documentation, IQ execution, system operation, troubleshooting and validation support).
- Leads engineering design of new facilities, production suites, etc and provides cross functional Team leadership required in supporting the design efforts
- Prepares QA related documentation such as cGMP Process Change Controls. Responsible to assure adherence to cGMP requirements throughout all phases of Capital Project execution
- Provides technical input in support of equipment procurement including bid package preparation, bid evaluation, vendor selection
- Responsible for delivering assuring Engineering Turnover Packages that are accurate, complete, and adhere to Quality Assurance requirements
- High School Diploma or Equivalent; Bachelor’s Degree Required, Candidate should have BS ChemE, MechE or BioE – Or equivalent experience. PMP Certification desired.
- Significant experience in the design and operation of Biopharmaceutical facilities, both manufacturing and support systems (cGMP manufacturing, pilot plant & laboratories).
- Experience with control systems (PLC, DCS, Loop controllers) desirable.
- Experience in project management and coordination associated with the execution of capital projects in an industrial environment
- Practical experience in the management and coordination of engineering & construction management consultants, equipment vendors and contractors.
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of large scale commercial chromatography and membrane separation processes and equipment including chromatography columns, column packing/unpacking, ultrafiltration/diafiltration, viral filtration, and sterile filtration.
- Strong understanding of the latest ASME Bioprocess Equipment standard including sanitary design of equipment/piping systems and design for Cleaning in place (CIP) and Sterilization in place (SIP) design and operation.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in partnering and working with cross functional teams
- Team player with exceptional customer service skills, integrity and ability to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Requires strong attention to detail and analytical skills as well as problem analysis and resolution.
- Ability to quickly adjust to a dynamic and fast paced environment
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if it is not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.