Senior Strategic Buyer (Direct)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
This is a newly created role that will form part of the Global Raw Material Procurement Team that will be responsible for ensuring our raw material suppliers are meeting business needs and delivering value. The Role will partner with key stakeholders across sites to drive a range of local and global initiatives aimed at ensuring supply continuity, supporting business growth and ensuring we improve our cost competitiveness. This will entail managing key supplier relationships and specific sub-categories of spend globally. Finally this role will provide procurement expertise in tendering, negotiation, contracting and procurement systems.
Manage sub-categories of spend to deliver value and continuous improvements:
- Work closely with Global Category manager on category strategy development (e.g. provide site current and future business needs)
- Monitor the implementation and execution of category strategies at site level
- Support the execution of sourcing initiatives for delegated spend across assigned sites.
- Participate in global & regional sourcing efforts which also includes to provide purchasing expertise in tendering, negotiation tactics, planning and contracting
- Lead initiatives and various projects as a part of category development strategy, roll-out of new procurement policies/procedures and tools and take parts in optimization of transactional costs & efficiency of procurement activities (e.g. automation rates)
- Share best-practice sharing and synergies across sites
- Support standardization of specifications across sites and regions
- Track country savings performance and identify potential savings, risks & opportunities
- Drive utilization of on-line catalogues, E-Auctions and other leading edge sourcing tools
Ensure business continuity and meet site business needs:
- Ensure business continuity and supply/availability of direct materials
- Partner with site stakeholders to understand and support the delivery of current and future business needs
- Work with site controllers to provide spend and savings forecasts to management
- Manage supplier changes and transitions
Manage supplier relationship and performance at site level:
- Maintain and drive professional partnership/collaboration with suppliers
- Manage portfolio of suppliers and ensure compliance with requirements/policies
- Support comprehensive supply risk assessment across existing supplier portfolio (incl. single source, capacity constraints, financial risks, quality risks, etc.)
- Develop and implement mitigation solutions for key business risks identified
- Be aware of the supply market dynamics and changes to ensure competitiveness and supply risks are mitigated
Personal development and capability building:
- Define personal development goals and associated training and development needs
- Complete mandatory training and capability building program
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Science or any relevant discipline
- Customer service mindset and ability to manage several priorities simultaneously
- Positive attitude with a willingness to learn new skill sets
- Working knowledge of general business practices & Good Manufacturing Practices
- Experience and knowledge of both Operational Procurement and Strategic Buying/Category management (i.e. Category strategy development)
- Project management skills
- Expertise in tendering and contracting Third party spend management
- Strong negotiation skills & ability to persuade and influence suppliers to achieve best outcome for Lonza
- Hands on experience of using SAP ERP in a purchasing/procurement role
- Hands on experience of using Microsoft Office.
- Experience in the Pharma, BioTech, CMO or related industries
- Experience working within a global team (strong command of English)
- Good Analytical skills to create insight from large datasets
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieve ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.