Lonza’s Portsmouth, NH site has had a lot of growth over the past few years, including building a fully automated manufacturing suite, and manufacturing mRNA technology for the covid19 vaccine. The site is continuing it’s growth, and looking to build teams to support upcoming expansions.
The Automation Manager will support ongoing Lonza operations through technical assistance as it relates to the manufacturing and process automation systems. Provide a technical resource to operations customers to ensure that instrumentation and automation systems are designed and operating to meet production needs. Assist with automation related input into the strategic planning of continuous improvements to new and existing processes, valued innovation, and long range facility planning at the site. Provide mentoring and technical support to other team members.
- Planning and execution of plant projects involving complex equipment changes and significant process improvements. May be involved in capital projects or initiation of CARs including working with Lonza Global Engineering and other site automation teams to develop future site and global automation design philosophy and standards and project implementation as necessary to achieve production success.
- Very high level of technical competence with 1 or more automation systems
- Experience and expertise as Controls lead for tech transfers
- Provides mentorship and training to more junior members of the group
- Performs in a supervisory role when required (project or Automation group)
- Provide SME support to Manufacturing and other departments for the design and operation of process automation equipment.
- Support resolution of equipment breakdowns and quality issues in the suites
- Conduct troubleshooting and technical analyses on manufacturing equipment and processes automation systems including PI data analyses, review/troubleshooting code, etc. both during normal business hours and as part of an on-call rotation.
- Participates in IPT/JPT in addition to other meetings when assigned as the Controls representative for a project
- Assist Controls management with participation in audits and inspections as sole Controls SME
- Owns and executes completion of CAPA actions
- Initiates change controls and participates in all aspects of the change controls process.
- Review SOPs, Functional Specifications, and work instructions
Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline. Preferred area of study: Chemical, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering.
Extensive experience in pharmaceutical/biotech required.
Substantial experience in the design and operation of process automation systems in Bio-pharmaceutical facilities, both manufacturing and support systems.
Substantial project management and coordination experience associated with the execution of capital projects in an industrial environment in required.
Substantial experience with SAP, MES (Manufacturing Enterprise System) integration required. Syncade preferred.
Experience with automated controls systems, DeltaV is highly desired.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if it is not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.