Technical Sales Manager, Proposals
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Hayward has a new opening for a Technical Sales Manager, Proposals to join our global proposals team. This individual will support Sales and PM in securing new business and will act as a consultant to help customers select the best possible services for their needs. This role will be required to be in the Hayward, California area.
- Responsible for the translation of customer needs into project scope, timelines, costs (including CAPEX), quotations and pricing by coordinating and working with multiple technical, operational and commercial groups.
- Partner with commercial development and sales to provide technical expertise in customer discussions on new business.
- Ensure good understanding of customer requests and technical project needs.
- Generate technical project strategies to assist the customer in achieving their CMC timelines through pre-clinical and commercialization.
- Ensure complete handover of accurate project information (scope, schedule, costing and pricing) to the Project Manager at project initiation.
- Sell the Lonza Value Proposition and proposal to the customer, including technical elements (not expected to be a SME).
- Assist Commercial Development and Sales to define value proposition, price and T&Cs. Assist with input for BESP, and business planning activities
- Accurately transcribe proposals into asset, resource and financial planning systems as appropriate.
- Connect with other sites and technologies as appropriate to ensure the whole Customer Product Lifecycle joins up into one plan.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of the Configure Price Quote proposal system
- Work with operational groups and finance to ensure the planned and actual scope is as accurate as possible.
- Attend or lead new customer site meetings (some off site meetings may also be required).
- Perform other duties as required including supporting the Global Proposal Team.
- Bachelor’s degree in a life sciences discipline; advanced degree (Masters or PhD) is preferred
- Significant industry experience in a pharmaceutical company with development, analytics and/or manufacturing, with experience in clinical product development and commercialization of biopharmaceuticals
- Customer facing experience
- Strong technical background with ability to understand other technical disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple scientific projects and make sound scientific and regulatory interpretations and judgements in a fast paced, pressured environment
- Strong project coordination and management skills
- Experience in generating technical project strategies
- Experience of program / project management within a scientific environment.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and communication skills appropriate to a matrix environment.
- Ability to identify creative commercial, workable solutions.
- Strong team player.
- Proven persuasive communication skills in a scientific and technical environment.
- Experience in working with a multi-national team.
- Attention to detail; self-motivation with strong organization, communication (written and verbal) and computer skills (expertise with MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, database-based applications).
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.