Business Development Associate
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is currently recruiting for a remote Business Development Associate. This position for Small Molecules is expected bolster our early stage prospecting in new accounts, support deeper prospect and lead qualification and conversion, increase awareness of the Lonza SM offering in the biotech hubs, conference and event preparation, with the potential to develop further responsibilities such as management of fast paced stand alone micronization business in Quakertown. This position will work closely with Business Development Managers in the Eastern North American Sales team with a focus on the Biotech hubs of Cambridge/Boston, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
This role is responsible for prospecting and converting prospects to leads for follow up by Business Development Manager colleagues. He/She will work very closely with the marketing intelligence team and BD Managers to build a strong understanding of the biotech ecosystems in the hubs. They will work very closely with the technical sales team (proposal) and commercial development to understand and articulate our technologies and value propositions. The candidate will target new companies and consultants through email and phone prospection in order to establish connections with new target accounts, increase awareness of Lonza and our SM capabilities in the biotech hubs, with the ultimate goal of generating a funnel of new leads and opportunities.
The Business Development Associate will also be responsible for supporting conference preparation, including reviewing and prioritizing target lists with their BD colleagues, supporting partnering meeting outreach, and attending conferences.
This position will be home based, but is best served from one of the main Biotech hubs, ideally in the Northern New England area.
- In depth desk research on potential target customers (with support of Market Intelligence)
- Prospecting and initial outreach to target customers and consultants
- Following up on marketing generated prospects
- Converting prospects to concrete leads for follow up by Business Development Managers
- Liaising with internal function such as Technical Sales (proposals) and Commercial Development to ensure full alignment on technologies and value propositions
- Supporting conference preparation and booth duty
- In time/based on experience potential to close and manage micronization deals and accounts
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering is required.
- Experience in Project Management, Technical Sales/Sales, Research & Development is required.
- Understanding of drug development or ability to learn.
- Proactive, organized and positive attitude. Does not give up easily and is a team player.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, thrives on meeting and speaking with new people.
- Ability to quickly establish a report with a prospect and understand their needs in relation to our offer. Build a relationship through email and phone interactions.
- Ability to work remotely as this is a home based role. Occasional travel to site for training and conferences is required.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.