Senior Director, Mammalian R&D, Biologics
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Research & Development develops novel platform technologies for Lonza Pharma & Biotech for the future with leading edge science & engineering to transform ideas into industry-leading offerings. The focus is on “applied creativity”: we invent or aggregate new ideas for products or services, and we develop the technical and business implementation plans to make these ideas practical. We identify and develop the offerings that deliver new value for our customers and sustainable business growth for Lonza over future years and we pass them on to our operating business for implementation within 2 years from initiation.
Reporting to the VP R&D, the Senior Director is responsible for leading the Bio R&D Biologics Process Science and Technology teams, which comprises of core research in cell culture, purification and analytical technologies. Responsibility will be to deliver near term innovations with revenue returns for the LPBN business and at the same time to ensure the development of the R&D long-range plans for the Mammalian Business Unit. The key purpose is maximizing profitability and ensuring R&D deliver projects and innovation activities on time as required to maintain Lonza as a market leader.
- Develops execution plans to ensure timely delivery on near term R&D project outcomes and coordinates their implementation with Operations with efficient technology transfer disciplines
- Responsible for the overall management and leadership of a 10 mCHF budget and approximately 60 full time employees (FTE’s)
- Ensures effective reporting to governance bodies and in planning tools.
- Responsible for developing strategic long-range R&D plans (including setting up external collaborations) which will have an impact on the Mammalian Business Unit and LPBN overall.
- Assists with portfolio management for R&D to maximize profitability and ensuring consistent delivery on business targets.
- Plans, captures and secures all valuable new intellectual property from R&D projects and ensures it is converted into unique value-added offerings for long-term competitiveness and profitable growth for Biologics Division.
- Routinely engages with senior management on key enabling initiatives and to establish technology roadmaps in order to secure long term business opportunities for all Bio R&D areas
- Drives external thought leadership and also fosters an innovation culture within Lonza
- Provides leadership within Bio R&D and establishes effective communication channels to ensure alignment. Member of Bio R&D leadership team.
- PhD or equivalent experience in business or Life Sciences discipline. Knowledge of Bio Manufacturing.
- Extensive experience leading R&D at a senior leadership level. Will typically have had extensive experience in R&D or production and people management.
- Demonstrated innovative skills and experience leading complex technology projects.
- Broad knowledge of technology needs and customer base.
- General commercial understanding of corporate and operational business issues.
- Ability to work in a complex and fast paced matrix environment
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.