Manager, Purification Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
You will lead the Purification Development team within Development Services at Lonza Singapore. The Development Services group are responsible for the development and characterization manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. The purpose of this role is to lead the team responsible for all downstream process development alongside process characterization and technology transfer activities. In addition, the team are also responsible for viral clearance validation services in collaboration with third party vendors. The team are expected to provide sound scientific expertise to support troubleshooting activities at both laboratory and manufacturing scale. The role will be based at our new laboratory at Singapore Science Park but will also provide oversight to the team of Purification Development scientists who are based at the Tuas facility.
- Lead an established team of 15 FTE and have a demonstrated track record and genuine interest in developing high performing individuals and teams.
- Oversee a period of growth in terms of headcount, projects and technical capability.
- Responsible for the delivery of activities on multiple parallel commercial cell line and process development (IND) and late stage validation (BLA) projects.
- To ensure that sufficient resources (people/skill sets/equipment) are available to deliver projects to agreed timelines and budgets.
- Provide oversight of project execution both in Lonza’s facilities as well as work conducted at third party laboratories.
- Accountable for the quality of communication delivered by the team to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, teleconferences, face-to-face meetings).
- Monitor, control and report on activities (internally and externally) improving execution using appropriate tools and any necessary improvement initiatives.
- Collaborate with other departments locally and in Lonza’s global network to ensure consistency in technical approach.
- As a member of the department leadership team, represent the whole of Development Services during Customer visits/audits and any other associated activities supporting the Sales process.
- Coach, mentor and train direct and indirect reports in the necessary scientific critique, technical skills, knowledge and capability to achieve the department’s objectives and establish robust succession plans.
- Maintain sufficient technical / regulatory / business knowledge to represent Lonza internally on Customer project teams and externally at conferences.
- Foster a culture where all employees can reach their maximum potential, communicate openly, work to the highest levels of scientific quality and integrity and function in a safe, orderly and enjoyable environment.
- Demonstrate flexibility to support other activities within the team / department/site.
- Hands-on laboratory work may also be required as necessary.
- Purification Development activities include: Use of the AKTA platform to perform downstream process development, production of material for analytical development purposes, process characterization using scale down models and virus clearance studies.
- Degree/PhD in a relevant Science field or Equivalent with a minimum of 8 to 10 years relevant industrial experience
- Deep knowledge and understanding in one or more areas of purification development / characterization in relation to the development of biopharmaceuticals for early and late stage regulatory filings.
- Previous experience working in or managing a cGMP laboratory would be advantageous.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and teamworking skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.