Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Principal Engineer functions as the site’s primary technical leader in Engineering. This position serves as a technical consultant for strategic capital projects and tech transfer, owns the site-wide Engineering and design standards, and solves complex problems. Although the position is not considered to have direct managerial/supervisory responsibilities, the Principal Engineer will provide mentoring and technical support to other Team members.
- Function as site’s foremost technical expert process equipment & unit operations in both USP & DSP, CIP/SIP, microbial controls, and sanitary equipment design, to internal cross functional groups and external customers.
- Provide technical leadership & consulting using engineering principles to support design & scope for strategic projects of wide range of scales.
- Technical consultant for design & scope for new product facility fit in conjunction with MSAT and Engineering teams at the proposal and conceptual design stages.
- Owner of site-wide Engineering & Design standards. Author and revise standards as required. Foster alignment on practices across site assets.
- Develop innovative solutions to complex problems to facilitate the successful development, transfer and implementation of current and future processes in a world class cGMP compliant bioprocess production facility.
- Evaluate proposed changes to the facility as part of Change Control Committee
- Represent Engineering at Vendor Change Notification Review Board to facilitate evaluation of changes
- Represent Lonza in regulatory inspections and Lonza’s customers when required to justify Engineering practices or complex designs
- Technical consultant to the global mammalian and mRNA network for sanitary equipment design, unit operations both USP & DSP, and CIP/SIP.
- Lead best practice sharing, technical knowledge review, and lessons learned communications within the network.
- Engage in Industry best practice forums such as BPOG, ISPE, PDA, ASME BPE, or CIP/SIP Involved in driving evaluation of gaps with respect to standards, codes and regulations.
- Mentor, coach, and support colleagues to solve complex problems and drive best-in-class design & functionality.
- When required due to critical business need or resource gap in any Asset , execute Engineering Projects functioning as Project Manager, Design Lead, and/or Commissioning Lead as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Engineering or Science discipline
- Substantial experience within the biotechnology industry
- Significant technical experience, including ability to learn new technologies
- Experience in leadership, mentoring or coaching either direct or indirect employees
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to communicate to all levels, corporate stakeholders and external customers.
- Ability to adapt to change and work in a fast paced environment. Experience in a large organization beneficial but no required.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Understanding of Engineering Industry best practices.
- Effective problem solving skills on large-scale complex projects, capital expenditures project experience beneficial.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.