Environment, Health and Safety Specialist
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Houston’s Cell and Gene Therapy Facility is the largest in the world and our facility is growing. We are looking for professionals to grow with us and we have an exciting opportunity for an Environment, Health and Safety Specialist(EHS). The EHS Specialist will be responsible for supporting management in the development and implementation of environmental, health and safety programs for the Houston site. Provide professional and technical assistance to plant Site operations and ensure procedures, practices and policies are consistent with established Corporate, local, state and federal regulations. Implement, monitor and maintain safety and health programs and facilitate corrective measures as necessary. Provide guidance and assist in maintaining OSHA injury/illness recording practices.
- Oversee safety efforts in striving for a zero accident/injury free workplace.
- Schedule, develop, facilitate and/or present Site Safety trainings.
- Respond to emergency incidents and facilitate or participate in injury and near miss investigations. Recommend corrective actions.
- Handle hazardous and biohazardous waste activities and sign waste manifests
- Oversee and organize Site Safety meetings and other teams, as needed.
- Documentation as required, such as significant change sign off (MOC’s), new equipment approval, risk assessments, new product information, chemical inventories and others as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree in Safety or Scientific field
- Extensive experience in environment, health and safety, preferably in a manufacturing and/or laboratory setting
- ASP, CSP or other certification a plus
- Knowledgeable in Biosafety principles
- Familiarity with OSHA, EPA and DOT
- Computer Literacy: Fluent in Microsoft Office with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint. SAP experience a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong ability in problem solving and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Must be able to act decisively.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team structure. Holds self and others accountable for achieving collective goals.
- Demonstrated skill at successful interactions with regulatory agency staff and customers desirable.
- Personal integrity and ability to achieve credibility with employees at all levels from group management to operations.
- Positive attitude and able to coach employees on how to safely perform tasks
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.