Amorphous solid dispersions are a proven approach to alter the properties of APIs for improved dissolution rate, solubility and overall bioavailability. We are an established leader in solid dispersion technology utilizing both spray drying technology and hot-melt extrusion approaches.
Amorphous solid dispersions combine the increased solubility of an amorphous material and the improved stability of more stable solid form. Amorphous API material, which includes amorphous drug substances, amorphous solid dispersions and co-amorphous materials, have higher energy states versus crystalline API, but potentially lower physical and chemical stability. Polymers are utilized in spray drying and hot-melt extrusion to improve solid state stability of amorphous solid dispersions.
Typical advantages of solid dispersions over other technologies for improving dissolution rate, solubility and bioavailability include:
- Broad applicability over a diverse compound property space
- Accommodates high dose applications for safety studies
- Applicable for either tableting or encapsulation as drug product formats
- Applicable for extended release and combination formulations
- Readily scalable processing