Automation Scientist, R&D Laboratory
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza in Portsmouth, NH is searching for an R&D Laboratory Automation Scientist to join our team. As our R&D Laboratory Automation Scientist, you will implement and maintain laboratory process automation systems required for continuous processing using mammalian systems. You will be a key member of our R&D team working to develop process analytics by using the latest data science techniques and predictive analytics.
- Identify best in class solutions and take ownership of the laboratory automation systems in the R&D lab.
- Coordinate with Controls Engineering and Bioinformatics teams across Lonza in order to enable harmonization of systems and establishing company-wide best practices.
- Design process automation code for small-scale laboratory equipment.
- Conduct troubleshooting and technical analysis on process automation code and systems (including Delta V and other systems).
- Participate in new technology reviews and developments in coordination with other Lead Scientists, focusing on computer systems and data handling requirements.
- Work in a diverse team setting covering all aspects of biomanufacturing, bioreactors, chromatography, and process analytics.
- Solve complex problems by applying advanced data science techniques.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering.
- Significant working experience with creation PID control loops (both analog and digital).
- Significant working experience with data science techniques.
- Significant working experience with process automation codes and systems (Delta V is our current system).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Creativity and troubleshooting skills to develop new and expand current technical capabilities.
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.