Senior Software Developer
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Senior Software Developer will be part of an experienced team of software professionals working on the cutting-edge of the biopharma industry. The candidate will be part of a team creating best-in-class software primarily for the Cocoon® Platform product family. The Cocoon® is an automated, scalable, and functionally closed-process cell therapy manufacturing platform. The Cocoon® is used to manufacture multiple types of cell therapy with applications in oncology (i.e. CAR-T), regenerative medicine (i.e. HSCs, MSCs) and tissue engineering (i.e. orthopedics).
The role involves a fair share of hands-on programming, software components design, documentation according to SDLC processes, and various R&D / Innovation activities.
- Perform software component design, implementation activities drawing from user requirements then moving solution to system integration, validation and release.
- Identify, document and analyze risks, propose and implement risk mitigations.
- Produce design documentation in accordance with SDLC process requirements.
- Participate in hands-on programming activities including coding and unit testing.
- Proactively collaborate with fellow Team members coordinating software component design and system integration efforts.
- Actively pursue and resolve software issues.
- Maintain and evolve Team's DevOps infrastructure.
- Identify scope of work, provide time and effort estimates, report progress.
- Generate ideas for improvements focused on better product quality, Customer satisfaction, and higher Company value.
- Collaborate with fellow Engineering, Biology, Service and other teams working on product design and improvement.
- Coach fellow Team members and colleagues from other teams. Be proactive learner keeping own skill set at the edge of modern technology and best practices.
Software component design skills:
- Familiarity with the V design model.
- Familiarity with IEC 62304 or similar industry standards.
- Advanced skills gathering requirements, creating design specifications, maintaining traceability.
- Advanced risk identification, analysis and mitigation skills.
- Advanced design documentation skills and being comfortable producing it as required by the SDLC process.
- Expert .NET coding skills, including WPF, ASP .NET, EF, asynchronous operations and multithreading, secure communications, authentication and authorization.
- Expert software component implementation skills including: test driven coding, dependency injection, unit testing.
- Advanced level of MS SQL Server database design including T-SQL programming, index and query optimization. Familiarity with non-relational databases is an advantage.
- Advanced DevOps skills, preferably with MS Azure DevOps Server / Services.
- Experience communicating with hardware via COM and USB ports, communicating over industrial networks (i.e. CANbus) is a strong advantage.
- Experience working with cloud frameworks (Azure, AWS) is an advantage.
- Experience developing .NET cross-platform applications is an advantage.
Experience and education:
- Associate or Bachelor degree in Computer Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar.
- 7+ years overall Software Development experience; 5+ years designing and implementing software components.
- Experience working in the Medical Device Software industry or in one with similar process, reliability and quality requirements (i.e. Avionics Software) is a strong asset.
- Possession of a relevant Microsoft Certification is an asset.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.